Frequently asked questions
Here are the Report API FAQs. See the Report API guide for all the details.
For more common questions, see:
What are the benefits of the Report API over the SFTP service?
The SFTP Report Service lets merchants and partners download settlement files by SFTP.
The Report API has some benefits over this:
- Accounting partners have one set of API keys for all their merchants: Accounting keys. The accounting keys can not be used to make payments.
- Merchant can easily
give access to an accounting partner
with no coding by the merchant or the accounting partner.
- The SFTP service required each merchant to enter the accounting partner's SSH key. Some merchants even shared their API keys, which enable the accounting partner to make payments, which is not allowed.
- Data can be retrieved at any time, for any time period.
- The SFTP service only offered daily data: One file per day.
- Data is available regardless of whether the balance is positive or negative,
so even if there have only been refunds, there will be data available.
- The SFTP service only provided settlement data when the balance was positive.
- It is possible to retrieve data for more than one day in a request,
for example for an entire weekend, week, or month.
- The SFTP service only provided one file per day.
- The data is in JSON format, making it easy to use in different ways.
- The SFTP service offered XML, XSLX, CSV and PDF, but most users now want JSON.
What information can I get hold of?
The only difference is that the data can be fetched over a more modern REST API. We aim to provide more information through this API in the future.
Important: It is not yet possible to use the Report API to retrieve data for Vippsnummer sale units. The Report API can only be used to sale units that have API access (which Vippsnummer sale units do not have.)
Is the Report API available for the test environment?
Unfortunately not because the test environment does not have the backend systems necessary to offer the Report API.
The only way to test the Report API is in the production environment.
Since the Report API is read-only, and the overall logic is very simple (first ask for data, then receive that data), developing and testing in the production environment is straight-forward.
Implementing the Report API in the test environment is a big effort, as there are no settlements being made in that environment. The data that the Report API needs is simply not available. It is unlikely that we'll be able to prioritize this over other development efforts.
Can a merchant find the Ledger ID for an MSN on portal.vipps.no?
This is not possibly currently.
For now, the only way to get the Ledger ID is to call
The Ledger ID does not in general change, so you may store it in configuration in the same way that you store the MSN. We may add display of the Ledger ID on portal.vipps.no in the future.
How do I get the settlements for multiple MSNs in the same ledger?
Joint settlement for multiple MSNs is supported, and may be relevant in cases such as:
- You are changing the technical integration and getting a new MSN for this purpose, but you do not want to disrupt the settlement series
- You are launching a Point of Sale system in many physical distinct stores that should have different MSNs, but want to have combined settlements for these.
In practice, this feature is little used in a few pilot cases, and configuration is not yet generally available. However, accounting partners should take into account that this feature could see more use in the future when integrations are developed.
If a ledger is used for two MSN: MSN 1 and MSN 2. What happens when MSN 2 gets its own ledger?
Once a transaction has appeared on a ledger, it belongs to that ledger forever. When an MSN is moved to another ledger, it means that future transactions will appear on the new ledger. The old transactions appear on the old ledger, since they contributed to joint settlement payouts of both MSN 1 and MSN 2.
Where can I find the settlement ID?
How can a merchant get access to the API?
The API is available for sales units that already have access to any other Vipps MobilePay API.
If you do not already have API access, you cannot get access to the Report API. This is the case if you only have a Vippsnummer sales unit, since those sales units have no API access.
How can an accounting partner get access to the API?
Accounting partners must use their accounting keys.
Important: Merchants are not allowed to share API keys with partners that have not been approved by Vipps MobilePay, as we are strictly regulated and must know who can make payments using our APIs.
Accounting companies can use the form on vipps.no to become an accounting partner.
Merchants select their accounting partner on portal.vipps.no as described here: Give access to an accounting partner.
Which API keys give access to the API?
The following API keys give access to the Report API:
- The merchant's own API keys: The same API keys that are used to make payments, etc. See API keys. Only the merchant can use these API keys with the Report API.
In the future, approximately Q4 2023, Accounting keys will provide access. The API keys provided to the accounting partner when the partner signed a contract with Vipps MobilePay. The accounting partner's API keys only work for sales units after the merchant has given access to the accounting partner.
The merchant's own API keys
The merchant's own API keys give full access to the Report API.
If the merchant uses an integration partner (see partner types), it is the same as using the merchant's own API keys.
When a merchant shares its API keys for a sales unit with an integration partner, we have no way of knowing whether the API calls are made by the merchant or the integration partner. This is why we require that all API requests made by a partner on behalf of a merchant are done using the partner's own API keys (the accounting keys).
Specifying an accounting partner
In addition to the above, the merchant may add one or more accounting partners. An accounting partner will get access to the Report API, but will not be allowed to make payments, or move money in any way. The accounting partner can only see reports of the payments that have been made.
Why do I get an empty list in response when calling one of the endpoints?
If you keep getting an empty list in a response where you expect data to be available, you should first check these things before filing an issue:
- Check if your query-parameters is correct. Are you filtering on the correct date?
- Do you have access to the resource you are trying to retrieve? If you are trying to retrieve the transactions connected to a ledger you do not have access to, you will be given an empty list