This is applicable for both Vipps and MobilePay.
If you and your merchants have a good volume and great potential, we would like to have you on the team as a partner. The goal of the partner program is to find areas where we can work closely together and experience good growth - together. The collaboration will give you good exposure and opportunities for even better solutions for our customers.
For more high-level information, see Vipps MobilePay: Become our partner.
Vipps MobilePay has four types of partners:
A partner may act as a different type of partner in different situations. For example, it's possible for a partner to develop an official Vipps MobilePay plugin; as well, as being a platform partner.
This document is mainly for platform partners that act on behalf of merchants, using one set of API keys for all merchants: Partner keys. Other partners must rely on each merchant's individual API keys.
Platform partners provide a closed, ready-to-use platform for their merchants. They do all integration with the API platform, do all development and maintenance on their platform, and also provide all support for the merchants.
Partners with Partner Plus and Partner Premium can and should use partner keys. Platform partners on these partner levels use the API platform on behalf of merchants. This means that they can initiate payments, captures, refunds, and other relevant transactions.
Merchants that use a platform partner with Partner Plus or Partner Premium never need to see their API keys, since the partner uses partner keys.
Partner keys can be used with the Management API.
Reseller partners assist merchants in development of their integration. Typically, this is a consultancy firm doing development for the merchant. A reseller partner does not use the API platform on behalf of the merchant.
Merchants that use a reseller partner must provide the API keys to the integration partner. See Knowledge base: API Keys.
If the reseller partner continues to run, manage, and develop everything related to the Vipps MobilePay integration after it has been developed, and also manage the API credentials on behalf of the merchant, the partner is similar to a platform partner and should use partner keys.
Plugin suppliers develop official open source plugins on contract from Vipps MobilePay.
If a partner uses official Vipps MobilePay plugins to implement an integration for a merchant, the API credentials for the merchant must be used, and the partner uses the API platform on behalf of the merchant.
PSP partners use the PSP API to offer Vipps MobilePay to their merchants.
There are three partner levels: Partner, Partner Plus, and Partner Premium. For more details about these, see Partner levels.
How to become a partner
Please visit the partner page, read through our FAQ, and fill out the form.
Integrate with the API platform
See developer documentation for information about how to get started.
When your application is approved, you will receive an email with details about access to the test environment.
If you already have a pilot merchant that has access to the API platform, you can also use the merchant's API keys for the test environment for development.
Access to the production environment requires thorough checks required by law. For most partners this is not relevant, as it is the partner's merchants that will need production access. The partner only needs access to the test environment to complete an integration.
Finishing the integration and going live
An integration is considered complete when all the elements of the relevant API checklists are done. See these checklists:
In addition to the checklists mentioned above, all partners are required to complete the following:
|Required to become a partner
|As a partner, you accept the Partner terms and conditions
|Provide technical documentation for merchants regarding:
|- How to apply for products (a URL, plain text or PDF is preferred)
|- How to configure and use the solution (a URL, plain text or PDF is preferred)
|- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for merchants (a URL, plain text or PDF is preferred)
|Provide one pilot customer to verify the integration in the production environment (send organization number and name)
|Describe how your integration has been set up, with a link to a demo, or provide screenshots (PDF is preferred).
When the integration checklist is completed, notify Vipps MobilePay Integration Service
as described in the checklist, with
reference examples from the test environment,
pilot customer info, and a description of the implemented solution.
Vipps MobilePay Integration Service will verify the integration and contact you.
After the checklist is approved, you will receive all necessary information from firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will add you to the signup forms on portal.vippsmobilepay.com where the merchants can sign up and select you as their partner.
As a partner, you manage transactions on behalf of Vipps MobilePay merchants. We provide you with partner keys, which allow you to use your own API credentials to make API calls on behalf of your merchants (i.e., the sales units that are connected to you as a partner).
This means that you don't need to use the merchant's own API keys.
See: Partner keys.
Partner keys are only available for Partner Plus and Partner Premium.
All official plugins are open source, free to use, and available in our plugin section, as well as on the platforms they are designed for.
We encourage submitting issues and pull requests to improve the plugins.
If you have developed, or plan to develop, a plugin for Vipps MobilePay, and you think it may be a candidate for becoming an official plugin: See How to become a partner and let us know what your plans are.
How to get access to your sales units on the merchant portal
Partners can get access to manage sales units in the merchant portal by ordering a product, such as Login.
Ordering Login is the fastest because the Login API does not allow for payments and, therefore, the requirements for compliance are simplest.
You will need to get a merchant agreement and order the product as described on the Applying for services page.
- The partner must have a website.
- The partner's organization number must be clearly visible on the website.
- The partner must mention in the application that the application is for a partner and that it's for access to the API for development.
When your order for Login is approved, you can log in to the portal and manage your own sales units for use in the test environment.
You can ask the merchant to create a user for you, so you get access to the merchant's MSN as described in detail with screenshots.
Vipps MobilePay doesn't have a separate partner portal.
How to sign up new merchants
The information below is for platform partners.
All merchants must have a customer relationship with Vipps MobilePay, in addition to the one with the partner.
A merchant that already has a customer relationship with us still needs to apply for a new product (sales unit) to use with a new partner. See: How can a merchant change partners.
The Management API enables a partner to "prefill" the product order form on portal.vippsmobilepay.com on behalf of a merchant, so the merchant can log in, check the data, and submit the product order.
See: Prefill a product order.
A partner that only rarely needs to onboard a new merchant can have the merchant order a product on portal.vippsmobilepay.com instead of using the Management API's "prefill" functionality. The partner may also log in on there and manually fill in the form, which will be similar to using the Management API's "prefill" functionality.
Merchant signup with prefill sequence diagram
How to check the status of a product order
The Management API has functionality to:
- Get information about a product order (only if the product order was submitted with "prefill")
- Get information about a sales unit
- Get the sales units for a merchant by business identifier
- and more.
- There are strict rules for what information we are allowed to share with a partner. To give more details than the above, we require consent from the merchant, and the merchant must also be able to withdraw that consent. We do not have that consent management system, and it is unlikely that we will implement it.
- Partners can use Get the sales units for a merchant by business identifier to check if a merchant's sales unit is live.
- The best way to check the status of a product order is for the merchant to check on portal.vippsmobilepay.com.
- See: Typical reasons for delays.
Partners that can't use the Management API to prefill a product order must use Manual signup.
Typical reasons for delays
The application solution on portal.vippsmobilepay.com contains a lot of help and tips, as well as links to more information.
There are still some common problems that cause delays:
- The merchant has signed a merchant agreement, but has not ordered any Vipps MobilePay products.
- The application is not signed by a person that has signatory rights. Norwegian merchants can check who can sign at Brønnøysundregistrene, the Norwegian business registry.
- The merchant's website does not have the legally required terms and conditions.
- The merchant's website does not have the organization number clearly visible.
- The merchant has not provided enough information about what they want to use Vipps MobilePay for (What kind of services do you provide to your customers and in which markets (countries)?).
- If the merchant website is not the distribution channel, the requirements outlined above shall also apply to the partner platform.
- Vipps MobilePay has sent an email requesting additional information, but has not received a reply. Merchants should check their "spam" and try to search their email for "vipps".
- The application has been declined. Vipps MobilePay only informs the merchant about this, not the partner. The reason for declining may be related to risk and compliance, and thus sensitive.
How can a partner check things on behalf of a merchant
For partners: Vipps MobilePay has limited capacity to handle partners' requests. We therefore recommend the following priority:
- Integrate with the Management API, so the functionality is made available in the partner's own admin interface.
- The Management API is designed and developed to enable as much self-service and automation as possible. Our Partner terms and conditions state that partners are obligated to use the Management API.
- Send single requests with an API client (e.g., Postman).
- Ask the merchant to create a user for them on portal.vippsmobilepay.com, so the partner can check on behalf of the merchant.
How can I check if I have
skipLandingPageactivated? or How can I check if a sales unit has "reserve capture" or "direct capture".
Vipps MobilePay can't share information about the status of a merchant's agreement or product orders. This is because we need explicit consent from the merchant to share the information with the partner, and the consent must also be possible to withdraw. We have not been able to prioritize implementing this consent management. Also: Some applications may be declined due to too high risk, suspicion of fraud, etc. We can't "leak" this information about the merchant. The partner must always check with the merchant.
The merchant can check the status on portal.vippsmobilepay.com any time.
When a new merchant gets their Vipps MobilePay application approved, an email is sent to both the merchant and the partner with information about:
- The merchant's organization number
- The merchant's name
- The sales unit's MSN
- The sales unit's name
The Management API enables a partner to look up merchant serial numbers based on the merchant's organization number, and also retrieve details of a specific sales unit based on the sales unit's MSN.
How can a merchant change partners
See: How to change partners.
FAQ for partners
You may find answers to your questions on our FAQ section on the bottom of the partner page on vipps.no
Technical information for partners
Please contact your partner manager. If you do not have a partner manager, please contact email@example.com.